Do you know an undergraduate student who is passionate about making college more accessible for all students, and especially first-generation and low-income college-going students? We would like to invite them to apply for a 7-month fellowship with Alabama Possible (November 2, 2020 – June 11, 2021).
In partnership with the National College Attainment Network, this fellowship provides two students the opportunity to engage in national policy discussions on higher education. Fellows will use their powerful voices to inform policymakers and to advocate for students’ ability to access, afford, and attain a college degree. The student advocacy fellow will earn two $550 stipends (one in fall, one in spring).
Student fellows will:
- Participate in two virtual advocacy campaigns (November and February/March) and corresponding pre-event trainings
- Virtually meet with members of Congress to share data and personal experiences
- Create a “student story” related to a federal policy priority, via written blog or video format
- Connect with student fellows across the country to create a community with each other
The goals of the fellowship include:
- Expand the number of students participating in advocacy as a strategy to close the equity gaps that exist in higher education
- Educate members of Congress and staff members on college access and success policy issues
- Students must be full-time students in good standing at their school (preference given to students attending an Alabama Possible member institution).
- Students should be available during the following dates: November 16 and one week in February/March (details TBA).
Please share this opportunity with your students and ask them to complete a short application with their contact information, resume, and answers to two questions. Students can complete their application at alabamapossible.org/2020-21fellow. The application deadline is Monday, October 26. We will select the student fellow no later than Friday, October 30.
Have questions? Email Mae Whiting at email@example.com.