September 3rd, 2010
Around 60 people came out to The Village Church in Huntsville Tuesday for our fourth and final Hunger and Food Security Workshop.
Rich Hartz from the North Alabama Food Bank started off the day with the presentation of some recent data on hunger and food bank usage in North Alabama.
Karen Wynne from the Alabama Sustainable Agriculture Network (ASAN) joined our community garden discussion and reported on the newly formed Food Policy Council of Huntsville.
Thanks to The Village Church and their pastor Alex Shipman for being helpful and engaged and letting us use their beautiful space. Starbucks donated food and coffee, which was greatly appreciated. Thanks also to our amazing speakers and all the participants, who shared some touching stories and valuable insights.
What steps can you take to fight hunger in Huntsville and beyond?
- Visit our event page to view notes from our group discussion about plans going forward
- Connect with the Food Policy Council of North Alabama by emailing Lee McBride – their next meeting is September 8
- Plan to attend the 2010 Alabama Food Summit in Birmingham November 12
- September is Hunger Action month. Visit hungeractionmonth.org to learn how you can support your local food bank or food pantry.
- Educate yourself about hunger and food security in Alabama by viewing our web resources
Posted by T.C. McLemore